This dish is yummy because the tomato and basil in the omelette create a salsa flavour that cuts through the egg. Crispy potatoes provide a different texture, and taste great. The summer salad provides a refreshing taste to contrast the oil and salt of the omelette and potatoes.
This dish is sustainable because it avoids using out of season vegetables or meat which can negatively impact the environment, and have egg as a protein instead. Most of the ingredients will be able to be locally sourced in summer, and those that cant will not have a major impact on the environment.
This dish has vege vibes because the key flavours in the omelette are tomato and basil, and no meat is used in the dish. It is nutritionally balanced because the omelette provides protein and the salad provides nutrients. One omelette can serve 2 people with the sides of potatoes and salad.
Order of preparations for meal:
- Follow crispy potatoes recipe
- When potatoes are in the oven complete salad recipe up to step 2
- When potatoes are about 15-20 minutes from completion follow omelet recipe
- When omelet and potatoes are finished cooking, follow step 3 of salad recipe
- Serve while omelet is hot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup cheese
- 2 spring onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the tomatoes (and spring onions or chili if you’re using them) and chop into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the tomatoes for about 2 minutes. Set aside. Clean the pan with a tissue.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat well with a fork, adding the salt and pepper
- Heat the rest of the oil in a pan (non-stick if possible) on low to medium heat
- Pour the egg mix into the pan
- Using a spatula, ruffle the omelet so it doesn’t stick. As you create gaps tilt the pan so the liquid fills the spaces.
- Let it cook for about 2 minutes and…
- Here’s the important part: when the egg mixture looks nearly cooked (but there’s still just a tiny bit of runny egg left) drop on the tomatoes, basil, cheese and spring onion.
- Fold the empty half of the omelet on top of the other.
- Slide it onto a plate – the heat from closing the omelet will finish cooking the inside.
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- Garlic oil
- Fresh rosemary
- Cut potatoes into roughly 3 cm sized pieces
- Boil potatoes for about 5 minutes
- Drain into a colander and shake vigorously to rough up the potatoes edges and then dry off any excess water
- Spread out onto a tray and season thoroughly with salt and pepper, drizzle with garlic oil and sprinkle with rosemary leaves
- Toss potatoes to ensure they are all coated with seasoning
- Roast in oven at 190C until crispy and golden
Simple Summer Salad
- Iceberg lettuce
- 1 carrot
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- ¼ red onion
- Cucumber (optional)
- Sunflower seeds
- Vinaigrette (1T your choice of vinegar, 2T olive oil, salt, pepper to taste, shake in jar to combine)
- Wash and dry lettuce in a salad spinner
- Julienne Carrots, chiffonade lettuce, finely dice onion, halve cherry tomatoes, thinkly slice cucumber if using
- Toss chopped veggies in a bowl, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and drizzle with dressing to taste.