Recipe by Saskia Hall
This is a delicious dish because the combination of flavors work very well together. The crispy kumara fries add a nice crunchy texture and elevates the dish. The vegetables in the burger add a lovely freshness to the dish and compliment the black bean patty well.
This dish is very versatile because you can add and take out or substitute a lot of the ingredients for your liking. And if ingredients are not in season it will be easy to find something else that works well with the dish.
This dish is all vegetarian and tastes amazing. It is nutritionally balanced because the black bean patty provides protein, the fresh vegetables provide nutrients and the kumara fries supply a starch element to the dish. One recipe can serve 4 people with kumara fries, but you can always make less or more if you want to.
1x Can of Black Beans
½ Bell pepper
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tablespoon Chili powder
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Teaspoon hot sauce
Small bunch of Coriander
½ cup Breadcrumbs
4 Burger Buns (Optional – Toasted)
Tomato sauce/ Mayo to serve
Salt & Pepper
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper and place another tray in the oven.
2) Cut kumara into thin wedges and place on hot tray. Coat with oil, salt and pepper and spices of your choice and cook until crispy and golden (about 35-40 minutes)
3) Drain and rinse black beans well then place in a medium bowl and mash beans with a masher until thick and pasty.
4) Roughly chop bell pepper in 2-inch pieces and onions into wedges. Blitz the onion and bell pepper and peeled garlic in a food processer until fine, then place in the bowl with the beans.
5) In a small bowl mix together egg, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce and chopped coriander.
6) Stir the egg mix in with the mashed beans. Mix in breadcrumbs until mixture is sticky and holds together (add more breadcrumbs if needed).
7) Then divide mixture into 4 patties and place on prepared baking tray with baking paper.
8) Place in oven and cook until crispy on the outside and golden (20-25 minutes) Flip halfway through cooking.
9) Assemble burgers and plate with kumara chips.