Recipe by Tahlia Basalaj
- 2 ½ cup of chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ an onion, finely chopped
- 1 tin of black beans
- 3tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- ½ a tsp of ground coriander
- ½ cup mayo (or can use sour cream)
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1-2 tsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp of chipotle powder.
- In a pan on medium heat, heat oil. When heated add onion and cook until soft, add garlic with the onion and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, chipotle pepper, and cook. Stir around and mash pepper until paste has darkened slightly.
- Add cumin and coriander into paste.
- Add lentils with ¼ cup of colder water, stir to combine, then cook. Mash some of the lentils occasionally Cook until lentils are heated through and partially mashed, and no liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Add water a tbsp at a time is skillet becomes dry.
- For beans, place pot on stove and add 1 tbsp of oil and set pot to low or medium heat.
- Empty the can of black beans and drain the liquid out, then pour beans into the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- For extra flavor add a pinch of salt and cumin. Continue to stir until at desired temperature and consistency.
- Pour beans into the lentil filling then mix beans thoroughly through.
- For sauce, place all ingredients in a small bowl, whisk until smooth. Add more spices if needed
- Assemble tacos, fill tacos with a big spoonful of lentil and black bean filling and add sauce if wanted. Add extra fillings if you need.