Recipe by Renz Alvez
This meal plan is yummy because you get this nice and light flavour from the sauce, the vegetables will give crunch and the fried tofu will give a new flavour and texture to the dish.
This meal plan is sustainable because the tofu and soba noodles are always available mostly on Asian grocery stores. And most of these vegetables are available in all season, and you are more than welcome to swap in and out vegetables for your preference and taste.
This meal plan has good veggie vibes because this is a meat free recipe and uses to tofu to add protein in your diet. Adding sesame seeds will make your diet even healthier as sesame seeds has a lot of nutrition in it.
- 1 pack of firm Tofu
- 250g Yakisoba Noodles
- 1 cup cabbage
- 3 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium capsicum, red
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 stalk green onion
- 1 cup broccoli, florets
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 3 tablespoon vinegar, rice wine
- 3 tablespoon Mirin, sweet cooking rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger root, fresh
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup of bean sprouts (optional)
- Sesame seeds (garnish, optional)
- Start with draining the water of the tofu and using a paper towel lightly press the tofu to get rid of the excess water.
- Dice the Tofu (1 inch in size).
- On a large sauté pan, medium heat. Add about half cup of oil. Once the oil is ready and hot. Fry the tofu until its golden brown on each side. (Note: tofu sometimes sticks in the bottom of the pan if the oil is not hot enough, carefully flip the tofu to avoid crumbling them)
- While tofu is frying, chop and prepare the vegetable. Julienne the cabbage, carrot and capsicum. Dice broccoli in bite sizes. Slice onion and dice green onions.
- When the tofu is done, careful remove them from the oil and place them in a paper towel covered plate to get rid of the excess oil. Strain the oil and reserve for future use.
- Using the same deep sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, add all vegies except bean sprouts.
- Cook soba noodles according to packaging instructions. If there’s none, here is a method: In a pot of well-salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse before using.
- While the veggies are cooking, whisk together your yakisoba sauce. Add soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, ginger, garlic. If you like sweetness, add ¼ cup of brown sugar.
- Add the Soba noodles to the veggies. (Tip: Use tongs to mix as it will help evenly distribute and incorporate the noodles and veggies.
- Once the veggies are cooked to your preference, add the sauce mix and toss in the tofu earlier, bean sprouts and green onions.
- Serve and garnish with sesame seeds, enjoy!